This past month, I worked mostly on Oliver's Christmas stocking. The bottom half of the chart is coming along. Previously:
This is a time consuming project, and though I set Christmas 2015 as my finishing goal, I realized I wouldn't feel right without Oliver having a personalized stocking for his first Christmas, 2014. So, I started a felt applique kit, "Sequined Santa". My very first personalized stocking (for myself) was felt applique, which I worked on with my mom, probably in the late 80's. The stocking looks kind of strange at the moment, but it is working up quickly and I should have no problem finishing by December. I'm planning to line it with a machine-sewn stocking, to extend its longevity. That will take some of the pressure off for finishing the cross stitch one.
I did work on the baby blanket, but it's not finished yet. It's just so boring to sew this border on. I will persevere, and finish by next month, hopefully.
I think I'll need to knit another motif or two on the edging to reach all the way around. My seaming on this isn't the best, I suppose I'm out of practice, but blocking will smooth things over, hopefully.
I bought fabric and supplies for the shopping cart seat cover, but I haven't started working on it yet... I need to locate my pattern first. My sewing room is a real disaster at the moment, still showing evidence of the mad dash to complete Ollie's Christening outfit.
I finally made a name sign for the nursery! I downloaded a free font, "Thirsty Script Extrabold Demo", and used a 600 point font (basically one letter per page). The finished sign is around 8" tall by 24" wide. I printed it out, taped my letters together and used it as a pattern- cut out two layers of cardboard with an exacto knife, glued those together, and then cut a layer from scrapbook pages and glued it down- this required 3 different pages and you can see where the pages are joined, which I'm not thrilled about it. It would be nice to have a continuous sheet. Maybe you could use wrapping paper? You could paint it; also, I see large sizes of nice paper (like 22 x 30") are available on the internet. Anyway, I used a 3/8" grosgrain ribbon in a coordinating color to cover all the edges (exterior and interior of the "O" and the "e"), applied with hot glue. The sign weighs very little so I affixed it to the wall with 2 sided poster tape. I had most of the supplies on hand, the scrapbook pages were on sale for around 10 cent each, the ribbon was a few dollars, so this was an extremely cost effective project. I'm quite chuffed, it adds a cool personalized touch to the room.
I've also spent many hours putting MyPublisher photo books together (of past travels). The first two are of Hawaii trips and I wrote some background to go along with my the photos. Those two are complete, the third (of my England trip last year) is in progress, and my Groupon expires at the end of August. So for next month, I want to finish the photobook project, work on the Sequined Santa stocking, and sew up the shopping cart cover.